Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dinner at Hope Lodge

Monday, April 19th

Having only been on my new bike once (where I think I spent as much time running into poles and falling over at stoplights as I did actually on my bike), I was a little nervous to actually bike with the team through Baltimore's pothole-filled streets and infamous traffic to get to the Hope Lodge. I needn't have worried - what with Kristine's singing Miley Cyrus's "The Climb" behind me and everyone else turning around at stoplights to check and make sure I hadn't gotten side-swiped by a passing car, I, and the rest of the team, made it to the Hope Lodge without incident.

Once there we set up everything for a nacho dinner. Once everyone filled their plates and settled down, Kristine and Jose introduced the team and asked each of us to stand up, tell a bit about ourselves, and pick a song we thought best described ourselves. Caught totally unaware and made to go first, I tried to come up with something deep and meaningful, and ended up describing the song "Be a Man" by Mulan.... oops.

Dinner and conversation was, as always, wonderful. I got a chance to catch up with a couple from Maryland, Don and Darlene, whom I'd met the previous week at Bingo night. Both were doing well; Don was on his second to last round of treatment and excited to be nearing the finish line. As our conversation progressed, Don asked me if I was excited for this summer, and I confessed that while I was, I was also terrified by the sheer prospect of biking across the entire country, and couldn't help but wonder sometimes if I was absolutely insane for trying. Don and Darlene were amazing - making me laugh and loosen up but also telling me about the people in their family had been affected by cancer and how moved they were by what we were doing. They hugged me tightly and told me to keep training, that I'd be just fine.

I'm glad that in going to the Hope Lodge we help raise the spirits of the inspirational, courageous people there, but I'm even more grateful for all the strength and motivation they give us to persevere in this crazy adventure. I can't wait to write to Don and Darlene from San Fransisco to say, thanks, you were right, I made it! :)

Pooja Singal

No comments:

Post a Comment