Wednesday, April 7, 2010

``Brinner" with Hope Lodge Residents

Whoever said you should start your day with a big bountiful breakfast was really onto something. But why not end your day the same way? Thats exactly what we did this week during our visit to the Baltimore Hope Lodge. All of us 4k-ers gathered in the kitchen, cracking eggs, flipping pancakes, and frenching toast, all in a race to feed the hungry residents waiting right outside. I paired up with Meg for the evening and learn the secrets of her magnificent french toast recipe. Good thing I got to try a slice before we brought it out to the dining room, because they were just about gone within minutes!

Even though the first hope lodge event was a blast, I really enjoyed how the 2010 team got a chance to get much more closer and a bit more personal with the residents this second time around. After working through the line for some Brinner (breakfast + dinner = Brinner!) I decided to grab a seat by a lovely fellow by the name of Cliff the mailman. Mr. Cliff was quite the character, within minutes of getting to know him we dove right into conversing about him favorite pastime, fishing! Cliff seemed like a pro hearing how he caught enough to eat for a whole month once.

After rubbing elbows for a bit I came across a caregiver by the name of sandy. She truly was a delight and a heartthrob if I might add. Her charisma was contagious and her jokes brought a smile to everyone's face. Sandy talked about how she always dreamed of going to Kansas CIty, her father's hometown. After hearing this I immediately informed her that one of our stops this year was right in Kansas City. She was so excited that I had to promise to send her a postcard once the team and I rode in sometime in June.

All in all, I can honestly say that the more time I come to the hope lodge, the more I fall in love with it. The residents kept on saying how remarkable all of us at the 4K are for going on our 4,000 mile journey, but in reality it is the residents themselves that are remarkable. While our fight against cancer journey for only 62 days, some of the residents have been own fights for over 20 years. Nothing could compare to the spirt and determination that the residents at the hope lodge share with us each and every time we come to visit.

I can't wait to come back and hear yet another set of stories from the tails and travels of mailman Cliff.

Jose Medina

No comments:

Post a Comment