Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 4: Greensburg, PA to Butler, PA

Wednesday, June 2nd

We stayed at YMCA and my eyes were open at five thirty. I was surprised to find myself with getting used to wake up so early. I tried to pack as fast as I could and get ready to hit the road. I stayed on the van a day before and I could not get more excited to get back on the bike after one day’s rest. The ride was only sixty two miles and after climbing Appalachian Mountains, nothing could be harder. Although there were some hills in between, there were many down hills as well. I never thought biking could be exciting sports, climbing down the hills after struggling to go up that high is definitely so much rewarding and exciting. I started as one of the weakest riders, and I was much concerned that I would not be able to catch up with the group, but I could already feel that my legs got much stronger. The ride did not go as smooth as we thought. Although the course itself was not very challenging, due to so much traffic, we always had to extra careful especially when there are so many gravels on the shoulder of the road. Also, I am not much of a big eater, however since the trip started, I started binging during the water stops and lunch knowing that I won’t be able to keep up unless I am full of energy. We had burgers for lunch. Normally, I would hate to eat burgers, however, after biking miles, I could not wish for more. It is actually amusing how adaptive humans including I can be to the environment given. Also, it made me think that I have not been grateful enough for what I was given. The main reason I started the trip was to fight the cancer along with my dad who is going through chemotherapy. I have to admit that I could face the dad as sick as he is. I just could not bear to see him in so much pain. In my memory, he has been always so strong and supportive for me. Maybe, I was selfish to begin with. However, as I meet more cancer patients, generous supporters and other riders along the with the demanding nature of the ride itself, I am learning to be a better person; it helps me cope with my dad’s illness and I am not alone in the world who is afraid and full of fear.

-Chorong Song

No comments:

Post a Comment